Assessment
You may be wondering how I’m going to grade the 20% project. I want to de-emphasize the grade because extrinsic motivators like grades tend to discourage the innovation and creativity I’m looking for in this project. Read Drive for more on this. I want you to be inspired by the project itself, not by the grade you’re going to get on it.That said, I am going to assess you on the algorithmic (objective) elements of the project. A significant portion of your Computer Applications grade will be dependent on the following elements with rubrics.
- The Proposal (Is the proposal on-time, and does it address the required questions appropriately?)
- The Blog (Does the post meet the required length, address the required topic, and submitted to the form on-time? Do you post regularly?)
- The Product (Did you successfully move from idea phase to production phase, and do you have something to show at the end of the year?)
- Productivity (Are you spending your 20% time by actively and passionately working on your project? If not, we need to quickly adjust the project so you are working on something that is intrinsically motivating. This is less objective, but if I see students not being productive, I will intervene.)
- Final Presentation (Does your presentation meet all of the required elements?)
What if my project is a failure?
In this class there is a place for perfection. Perfect English. Perfect punctuation. The 20% Project is no such place.The world’s best entrepreneurs embrace failure. Read Wired Magazine’s issue on the topic of “failure.”
The only truly failed project is the one that doesn’t get done. I want you to strive to show off a successful product at the end of the year, but I don’t want the quest for perfection to lead to an incomplete project. I want you to follow the advice plastered on the wall of Facebook’s headquarters.
DONE IS BETTER THAN PERFECT
This policy doesn't work in all work-related environments. I wouldn't want to see this poster in the dentist's office or the parachute packing assembly line. But for creative projects where we're trying to innovate, I find this idea compelling. For more on this topic read The Done Manifesto.
If you feel that your project is a failure, I want to hear about it. What did you learn about it? Think about your science fair project. If your hypothesis was wrong, was your project a failure? Watch Kathryn Schultz’s TED Talk: “On Being Wrong.”

No comments:
Post a Comment